Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Brother and UCP

Today my brother and my parents had a meeting with the United Cerebral Palsy foundation. Most people don't know this but my brother was born with CP. While my mom was giving birth the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck cutting off oxygen to the brain. This has affected his right side of his body and he has a few mental challenges but if you were to meet my brother you would not know this right away.
For a long time now I have been bugging, pestering, annoying my parents to no end to get my brother some help. I love my brother but honestly he is very lazy. He has a lot of potential but he has chosen the easy way out of things. No matter what my parents or I say to him he would brush it off, ignore it or he would just flat out do the opposite of what we were as a family trying to get him to do. If you haven't figured this out already I apparently took on the role of "second mom" at an early age! Matthew is actually 15 1/2 months older than me but I was walking and talking before him! I used to interpret what he would say to my parents. That earned me the nickname "Matthew's little interpreter". Little did my parents know at the time that my best friends through out my life would be deaf and I would literally be interpreting for them as well! God knew what He was doing even when I didn't fully understand it at an early age.
Anyway, back to my brother and the UCP meeting. My dad finally called and emailed the local chapter (I guess that's what they call it) and got a meeting set up. The meeting went really well! In some ways I wish I had been there but I am not truly his parent...just a little sister wanting the best for my big brother. :)
He is going to be getting a job counselor and a life counselor! This is huge! These people will be able to coach my brother in a way that my parents nor I could ever do. He really won't listen to us. If I walked with Matthew outside and said "Isn't the blue sky beautiful?" His reply would be "Becky, the sky is green" and walk away! Yep, he loves to be contradictory as well!
I believe with other people helping him out and telling him the same things we have told him for years will be more motivation and encouragement for him to succeed!
Sometimes it takes a person on the outside telling Matthew the same things for him to listen.
I believe that is the case for many of us... what do you think?

No comments: